Monday, May 31, 2010

New Kicks

With the help of some birthday money from family, I splurged and bought a new pair of running shoes. I hardly call it splurging, because when you're training for a marathon, it's all about the shoes. On Saturday, Scott and I hit up Green City Market for some fresh produce and then walked to the Fleet Feet store on North and Wells so I could buy some new shoes. As it turned out, they were having a decent Memorial Day Weekend sale, so while Scott picked up a few shirts on clearance, I tested out a new pair of Nikes. Here is a picture of my new kicks:


Aren't they magnificent? These shoes are compatible for the Nike+ chip. Thanks to my mother & father-in-law, I am now a proud owner of the Nike+ chip. The chip tracks running workouts and logs all of your runs. It also documents your PR (personal record) for specific distances, such as a 5k, 10k, etc. I've only used it a few times, so I need to calibrate it soon to improve its accuracy. The chip fits in a carved out section of the right foot shoe, underneath the sole. Here is a picture of how it fits into the shoe:


It's kind of sad to think that by late August, I'll have to buy yet another pair of new shoes. You put on a lot of miles training for a marathon and everyone I've talked to highly recommends getting a second pair of shoes about a month or so before the race.

On a serious note, official training starts June 7. I'm scared to death. Once June 7th hits, there's no room for excuses. OMG, I'm 7 days away from hell. Pray for me.



2 comments:

  1. Personally. I think you will be awesome beginning June 7th! Every great journey begins with one single step! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And apparently you didn't log out! - Love Scott = )

    ReplyDelete