Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 1 Summary

I can't believe my first week of training is over! Here's a breakdown of what I ran this week:
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 3 miles
Saturday: 6 miles
TOTAL: 15 miles

Today was my first Saturday long run and to sum it up in one word--FANTASTIC! Honestly, it was great! I was out the door by 6:30 am and set out to run a 6-mile course that I plotted using Google Maps the night before. Click here to check out my running route. I ran from point A to point B back to point A.

To my surprise, I felt great after the third mile (Lake Shore Drive & Chicago Ave-right by the Hancock). At this point, I turned around and headed back north running the same route back home. Fleet Feet Chicago (a local running store) started its hydration stations today, too! Volunteers hand out water and gatorade to all patrons using the lakefront path on Saturdays. Drinking gatorade was a nice change of pace from the usual sip of water.

I tried to figure out my why I felt so great with the 6 mile run today. Maybe it's because I ate a delicious dinner filled with carbs last night (whole wheat pasta with fresh basil, garlic, feta cheese tomatoes drizzled with evoo). Perhaps it's because I drank gatorade a few times throughout the run. Another reason could be the pure excitement of doing a long run. Either way, I am very pleased with my performance during the first week of training. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment