Monday, April 5, 2010

A Poetic Relationship


The weather has warmed up quite a bit in Chicago, causing runners to ditch the treadmill and hit the pavement. I can't really complain, because I am one of these runners. I am lucky enough to live only 2 blocks from Lake Michigan; I often find myself running along the lakeshore. Allow me to describe the setting of my running path:

As I run east on Fullerton, I can see the beautiful blue Lake Michigan. Once I run under the Lake Shore Drive overpass, I head south along the running path - towards downtown. It's gorgeous. I can see both the John Hancock Building and the Willis 'Sears' Tower. I can also see the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier and Castaways at North Avenue Beach. Talk about motivation! The view from the lakeshore running path is breathtaking. If I am really lucky, I can hear the waves crash onto the beach (just as long as traffic on Lake Shore Drive isn't insane).

Though I don't live anywhere tropical, living so close to Lake Michigan helps me feel like I do.

Now, onto the real topic of this blog post... bikers vs. runners. It's a dangerous relationship. The lakeshore path is home to many: bikers, runners, walkers and rollerbladers. As a runner, I try to stay as far right on the path as a I can. This allows other pedestrians to pass me. However, I quickly learned that it is not a wise idea to pass another pedestrian without giving a quick look over the shoulder. If I fail to do so, I risk putting my life in danger to bikers who rule the path. Some bikers are out for a lovely stroll, however some bikers are intense athletes who cruise at high speeds. I fear the day when we ultimately have a collision. I can see it now... I finally set my running pace and feel comfortable with the rate I am at while jamming to Lady Gaga's Poker Face on my iPod. I decide to pass a Trixie who is walking her twins in a double-sided stroller and I forget the cardinal rule... look over your shoulder! BAM! There is biker/runner collision with a group of 25 people mouthing "Ooo!" to themselves. Give it time. It will happen.

I hope you enjoy the cartoon above. It makes me laugh, because there are far too many "serious runners" in the Chi. We are Midwesterners for goodness sake! Perk up and give your fellow runner a smile! It will make you feel good inside, trust me.

~ Just keep running

No comments:

Post a Comment